Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our Story

Sweet Hubby and I met mid-August of 2000. I was a feisty 20 year old know-it-all, seen-it-all, been-through-it all college girl. He was an 18 year old naive, shy, singing, football playing senior in high school. It was not love at first sight. We were both in relationships but God certainly planted a seed.

A few years later, we saw each other again.  I was fresh out of a relationship and not looking for love.  After an evening of singing (him) and talking (probably me), he finally mustered up enough courage to ask for my number.  We went on one date but cut it short after dinner because I had "homework."  (I really did!)

I saw him about 6 months after that date but still was not interested.  You see, I had a rule.  I didn't date boys that wore wranglers.  I assumed all boys that wore wranglers were the egotistical cowboys that I went to high school with.  I was young and know better now!!

We went our separate ways.  Both spent time in relationships that obviously didn't work out.  Three years after our last encounter, we reconnected through Myspace.  Corny, I know.  I found him.  I wrote him a message letting him know how proud I was of him.  If you don't know this already, Sweet Hubby is an amazing singer!  After a month of talking on the phone and catching up, we saw each other.  Two days later, I was his girlfriend.  This was very close to love at first fourth sight.

After 3 months of dating, one evening (8/7/06) he looked at me and said, "Marry me."  I replied, "OK!!"  He really didn't even ask.  We set a wedding date for 7/7/07.  We did get married on the original date but it was for the second time.  Sweet Hubby was on tour and his last tour date was in Las Vegas.  He called me 4 days before his Vegas stop and asked me to check on plane tickets.  I asked him if I needed to bring a dress and ring (for him).  He said yes.  I booked a chapel, flight and worked out all the details for our wedding in 2 days.  I arrived in Vegas at 10:30am and we were married by 1:30pm Saturday, September 30, 2006.  It's our fairy tale story.




No, our parents were not upset at us for running off to Vegas because we promised them a traditional wedding.  No, I did not ask Sweet Hubby to not wear wranglers.  Yes, I am the luckiest woman to have such a great man and father to our children.   




2 comments:

casey Rivers said...

I can't believe you were able to put our story in just 6 paragraphs! That is the stripped down version. We could write a book...lol.

scotton said...

Awesome story Doni... you have a gift of writing... and Casey has the gift of song! And together you make beautiful kiddos... God has blessed you guys! Check out my Russian kiddos at www.keysofsuccess.com :-)